The English Language has acquired an immense number of words and is the first truly global language.Today, English is spoken by some 1.53 billion people as their first, second or business language.Austin, Texas-based, Global Language Monitor (GLM) documents, analyzes and tracks trends in language the world over, with a particular emphasis upon Global English.
The Global Language monitor announced the word Web 2.0 became the millionth word of the English language today at 10:22 Stratford-on-Avon time and “JAi ho!” from our Slumdog millionaire became 999,999 th word!.Slumdog also entered this competion.Based on the PQI (Predictive Quantities Indicator) score ,the words are selected.This PQI is the Glogal Language monitor’s proprietary algorithm which tracks the frequency of words and phrases in the global print and electronic media, on the Internet, throughout the Blogosphere, in social media as well as accessing proprietary databases.
Here’s the fifteen finalists
- 1,000,000: Web 2.0 – The next generation of web products and services, coming soon to a browser near you.
- 999,999: Jai Ho! – The Hindi phrase signifying the joy of victory, used as an exclamation, sometimes rendered as “It is accomplished”. Achieved English-language popularity through the multiple Academy Award Winning film, “Slumdog Millionaire”.
- 999,998: N00b — From the Gamer Community, a neophyte in playing a particular game; used as a disparaging term.
- 999,997: Slumdog – a formerly disparaging, now often endearing, comment upon those residing in the slums of India.
- 999,996: Cloud Computing – The ‘cloud’ has been technical jargon for the Internet for many years. It is now passing into more general usage.
- 999,995: Carbon Neutral — One of the many phrases relating to the effort to stem Climate Change.
- 999,994: Slow Food — Food other than the fast-food variety hopefully produced locally (locavores).
- 999,993: Octomom – The media phenomenon relating to the travails of the mother of the octuplets.
- 999,992: Greenwashing – Re-branding an old, often inferior, product as environmentally friendly.
- 999,991: Sexting – Sending email (or text messages) with sexual content.
- 999,990: Shovel Ready – Projects are ready to begin immediately upon the release of federal stimulus funds.
- 999,989: Defriend – Social networking terminology for cutting the connection with a formal friend.
- 999,988: Chengguan – Urban management officers, a cross between mayors, sheriff, and city managers.
- 999,987: Recessionista – Fashion conscious who use the global economic restructuring to their financial benefit.
- 999,986: Zombie Banks – Banks that would be dead if not for government intervention and cash infusion.
- 1,000,001: Financial Tsunami – The global financial restructuring that seemingly swept out of nowhere, wiping out trillions of dollars of assets, in a matter of months
More about web 2.0 :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0.
Blogs, rss,wikis,social networking technologies ,they all come under web 2.0